I really liked this twist on traditional quiche, which is typically high in fat and calories. I loved the potato crust, but next time I make this dish I will pre-bake the potato crust to give it more of a crusty texture. I didn’t have asparagus, so I substituted spinach and sliced mushroom. A small pinch of nutmeg added warmth, and I couldn’t resist some fresh thyme. If you like quiche, you’ll love this.
Adapted from Optimum Wellness
1 lb russet potato sliced thinly
1 tbs olive oil
1 medium onion thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper diced
5 slices turkey bacon
4 medium eggs
2 egg whites
1/2 cup low fat milk
1/2 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
12 steamed asparagus spears
- Heat oven to 350.
- Steam potatoes for five minutes.
- Heat olive oil in skillet on medium heat and saute onion and pepper for 7 – 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add bacon and saute until cooked.
- Spray glass pie plate with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs, milk, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Layer potatoes in pie plate. Top with onion mixture and pour in egg. Top with asparagus spears.
- Bake for 35 minutes until set.
9 g protein
7 g fat
15 g carbohydrate
103 mg cholesterol
362 mg sodium
2 g fiber
3 g sugars
WW points 3